Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer via the websites. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous information society services. Among others, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their computer and, depending on the information obtained, can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
According to who is the entity that manages the domain from where cookies are sent and treats the data obtained can be distinguished:
- Own Cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party Cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
According to the period of time that they remain activated in the terminal equipment we can distinguish:
- Session Cookies: These are a type of cookie designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a Web Page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion and expire when the session is closed or the browser is closed.
- Persistent Cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data are still stored in the terminal so that they can be accessed and used in more than one session. They can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, these may be:
- Technical Cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a Web Page, platform or Web Page and the use of the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing parts of restricted access.
- Personalization Cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as, for example, the language, the type of browser.
- Analysis Cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them to track and analyse the behaviour of the users to whom they are linked. The information collected by means of this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of websites, Web pages or platforms and to create user navigation profiles.
- Advertising Cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
Cookies used on the web
The following identifies the cookies that are being used in this portal as well as their type and function:
The web pages use Google Analytics , a web access analysis service developed by Google, which allows the measurement and analysis of navigation on the web pages. According to the above typology, these are cookies, session cookies and analysis cookies. You can find more information on this and disable the use of these cookies https://policies.google.com/privacy. Through web analytics, information is obtained regarding the number of users accessing the website, the number of pages viewed, the frequency and repetition of visits, their duration, the browser used, the operator providing the service, the language, the terminal used, or the city to which your IP address is assigned. Information that enables a better and more appropriate service by this portal.
The website also uses a session identification cookie that is used to maintain the user session in the browser. It is an excepted and technical cookie used to guarantee the correct functioning of the page.
How to modify cookie settings
You can restrict, block or delete cookies from this or any other website, using your browser. In each browser the operation is different, the ‘Help’ function will show you how to do it.
- Internet Explorer: windows.microsoft.com/en-xl/internet-explorer/delete-manage-cookies#ie=ie-10
- FireFox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer
- Chrome: support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/safari/sfri11471/mac
In addition, you can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as the following: